Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The First Month in Lima



Arriving in Lima seemed like a treasure. Before leaving Chimbote I got very sick.. three days of fever, barfing on the neighbors roof (couldn't make it to floor one so upchucked over 3rd floor railing. oops) and I hadn´t really eaten in a few days. My directors took me to a nice italian restaurant as a part of orientation (as I am the only one in my program, they were very flexible)and I ate Pesto which seemed to cure me. I met my host family (an older couple with two kids married and one living at home still) and got situated in my very small, but comfortable room in my fancy looking apartment in a very safe part of town.

The first weekend, I went to the beach with the 25 other CIEE program students (Liberal Arts and Language/society). Then my intensive spanish course started. That was a good five hours of class every day. The second week, the program took a MiraBus Tour of Lima and saw the Plaza in the center of town and went to a crazy cool water-fountain park. The third week we visited Villa el Salvador, one of the towns outside of Lima that is still in the process of development. The limits of Lima continually grows because of what are called Invasiones. Basically in one day 3000 or so people will come down from the mountains and set up houses and move to the outskirts of Lima. They worry later about getting electricity and water and finding jobs. It was fascinating to see the older developed part of town versus the newer part of town where water is still driven in every day in truck and people fill their buckets to use for the cooking/cleaning/bathing for the day. We heard from community leaders about the economic and community development they have been organizing for three generations now.

After three weeks of intensive spanish was up and I passed the final exam with flying colors I thought I was prepared for when classes started. I was in for a surprise.

La Universidad del Pacifico, where I am studying, is the most famous and prestigous business/economics schools in all of Latin America. The undergrad degree lasts 5 years (10 semesters) but takes most peruvian students 5.5 or 6 years because it is typical to not pass all of your classes the first time around. Knowing that I signed up for the classes that I was most passionate about: International Business, Social Responsibility Stategic Management, and a community outreach class.

Lets just say I do not have a lot of time to go out salsa dancing like the first few weeks. Each class has multiple text books and articles to read each week. Two of my classes have weekly exams, and case studies, debates, group projects, etc. on top of that. Hopefully it will be worth it in the end. I will get the chance to work in the community advising a local entrepreneur, asisting him/her in the growth of thier small business. I will meet with an executive of an international business located here in Peru and analize/create recommendations for an NGO in Peru for how they can become more socially responsible. Amazing opportunities usually involve hard work.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Email us:urgentloan22@gmail.com
    Application Form:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....
    Email us (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. DO YOU NEED FINANCIAL HELP? 5000$ to 100,000,000.00$
    No credit check
    Repaid over 1 year to maximum of 25 years at a low interest rate of 3%.
    Approval in 15-30 minutes
    Open 7 days a week from 24/7
    Service available nationwide
    E-MAIL - urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete