Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I am Famous in Chimbote!



As it turns out, I did such outstanding work in Chimbote that they invited me to talk on the evening news!

... no just kidding. However, I really was on TV in Chimbote. As it turns out my boss at CHOI, where I was working in the microfinance program, also was a news reporter for Channel 35 MásDeportes, a sports channel like ESPN. I went with my boss to his office on our way to drop off some checks in the bank and he told me it wouldn´t take long if I wanted to wait outside. I asked him if I could come in with him to wait inside and see what he does at his other job.

When I walked in he was sitting at the newstable with a microphone in his hand and said "sit here". I said, "What?! Aren't you going on live to do the news?" He said, "Yes in 90 seconds. We are going to interview you.. you are swimmer in the US right?" I said, "Well yeah, but.." and he said "Call your host family to tell them to watch channel 35. We'll just ask you some simple questions. Don't worry." So I called my host family and the lights dropped and the news intro music came on.

They said they had a very special guest on the show, a famous American Swimmer that was in Chimbote to do community work. They asked me questions like "Where are you from? How long have you swam competitively?" I explained that I had swam for 10 years competitively in the US and then for half a year in the Dominican Republic where I competed in the Pan-American Championships. They then asked other questions like "Why is swimming the most healthy sport? Can everyone benefit from swimming?" and my personal favorite, "Are you best friends with Michael Phelps?" I had to admit I wasn't but said I looked forward to meeting him soon. Haha. Then they told me about a competition they have every spring in Chimbote from the Island to the shore and back again and they invited me to participate. Then I put in a plug for the business workshop we were putting on later that week. After that I gave a shout out to my host family and all my family and friends back home in MN (you were all mentioned on TV too- whether you knew it or not!).

After the interview ended, they resumed talking about the usual: soccer. I stepped outside to call my host family. They said that they had called the whole family in from outside (I live with three generations in my house) and they all crowded around the TV to watch me. They said they were very proud and that they actually understood everything I said. From then on my name was Tomás de la Tele (TV Tommy). I never would have dreamed that that would have happened... what experiences I get myself into in other countries!!

4 comments:

  1. How awesome!!! I am glad your are having a great time in Latin America bro. As it nears the end here in China for me I am starting to get caught up in papers, case studies,and presentations also. Good luck with everything!

    Abdul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Email us:urgentloan22@gmail.com
    Application Form:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....
    Email us (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DO YOU NEED FINANCIAL HELP? 5000$ to 100,000,000.00$
    No credit check
    Repaid over 1 year to maximum of 25 years at a low interest rate of 3%.
    Approval in 15-30 minutes
    Open 7 days a week from 24/7
    Service available nationwide
    E-MAIL - urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete